The Fleur-de-Lis tummy tuck, also known as a vertical abdominoplasty, is a surgical procedure that removes considerable excess skin from the midsection area to reveal a taut, firmer body.
Meaning “lily flower” in French, this comprehensive surgical procedure involves an intersecting vertical and horizontal incision made on the abdomen to allow the removal of a fleur-de-lis-shaped section of skin. This surgery was developed as a solution for massive weight loss patients or those who have been pregnant multiple times and require a significant contouring intervention. Achieve the body you desire with a fleur-de-lis tummy tuck at the offices of Beleza Plastic Surgery in greater Pittsburgh and Sewickley. Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Anna Wooten and her staff are highly trained in plastic surgery and other aesthetic procedures that create a flattering silhouette and rejuvenated midsection. Take the first step and contact us for a consultation, or you can reach our office at:
- 1 Before and After Photos
- 2 About
- 3 Benefits
- 4 Candidates
- 5 Personal Consultation with Dr. Wooten
- 6 Preparation
- 7 Procedure
- 8 Recovery
- 9 Results
- 10 Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
- 11 Cost
- 12 FAQ
- 13 References
Before and After Photos
Obesity is a worldwide health problem that has affected people from all walks of life. In the last 20 years, it has affected an estimated 2.1 billion adults worldwide.  It is commonly associated with heart conditions, breathing problems, type 2 diabetes, and more. Over the years, many solutions have been developed to help patients reach an ideal weight. They have been extremely successful, however, while these patients lose considerable weight, they may be left with excess skin. Corrective surgery such as a fleur-de-lis tummy tuck can address this concern.
A fleur-de-lis tummy tuck utilizes an inverted T incision that looks strikingly similar to a lily.  Patients opting for this treatment can look forward to blossoming into their new look! A fleur-de-lis tummy tuck is a plastic surgery for patients wanting to achieve a tighter appearance for the entire midsection. It improves on the traditional tummy tuck procedure by removing a larger amount of excess fat and skin from the center of the abdomen. The surgical procedure makes two incisions.  A horizontal incision is made near the pubic line running hip to hip. The other incision extends vertically, from just below the midpoint of the first incision upwards toward the sternum in the center of the abdomen. This allows for the removal of a greater area of excess skin, and the ability to tailor a tighter midsection. Traditional abdominoplasty (with only the hip-to-hip incision) can only remove so much skin. In cases where the excess of skin is more than would be removed with a traditional tummy tuck, the fleur-de-lis abdominoplasty can be a more appropriate choice. Patients will see a dramatic-looking improvement with a more pronounced waistline, minimized flanks, and more attractive hip to waist proportions.
A fleur-de-lis tummy tuck aims to create a tighter overall appearance in the midsection for a rejuvenated appearance. Here’s is what you can also expect from the treatment:
- Enhanced overall body symmetry
- Improved mobility, less stress on the back, and better posture
- Eliminates stretch marks
- Heightened self-confidence
- Increased wardrobe choices
Anyone wanting to remove significant amounts of sagging, excess skin may be a good candidate for a fleur-de-lis tummy tuck. This procedure was designed to help patients with lax skin around the abdomen and torso following dramatic weight loss or multiple pregnancies. It also offers the ability to remove more superfluous skin and achieve better overall tightening of the abdomen than with a traditional tummy tuck procedure. Ideal candidates include:
- Non-smokers or those willing to quit
- Women that have completed their families, and are not planning additional pregnancies
- Those at a stable, healthy weight and in good overall health
- Those who prefer enhanced body contouring over scar visibility
- People committed to leading a healthy, active lifestyle
- Those with realistic goals in mind
Finally, patients should not look to this treatment as a weight-loss solution. If you are currently on your way to losing weight, please continue to do so and come back when you have achieved a stable target weight.
Your consultation with Dr. Wooten will be a compassionate discussion about realizing a new body with a taut-looking midsection. Schedule your appointment or call us at Sewickley at (724) 759-7777 or Pittsburgh at (412) 877-9388.
Personal Consultation with Dr. Wooten
Dr. Anna I. Wooten is a certified plastic surgeon by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. In 2008, she opened Beleza Plastic Surgery to offer patients beautiful results with the most state-of-the-art technology available.
Our staff wants to learn about your aesthetic goals during your consultation at our offices in the Pittsburgh area. A personal consultation helps our team understand what you are looking to gain from the surgery. Next, we’ll examine your abdomen and skin laxity. This allows us to create an individual plan and estimate your recovery time. Once a treatment plan is developed, we will walk you through the steps of the procedure, and explain how a fleur-de-lis tummy tuck will achieve a sleeker profile, keeping your unique anatomy and circumstances in mind. Finally, before your session ends, we’ll coach you on how to prepare for treatment. Please make sure to follow our instructions to ensure that you enjoy optimized results.
A consultation with Dr. Wooten will determine your best options for obtaining an ideal aesthetic silhouette. As a member of both ASPS and ASAPS, Dr. Wooten has skills, qualifications, and real-life experience to help guide you through your abdominoplasty journey. Plan for a consultation at our Greater Pittsburgh area offices. Make sure to share your spectacular results by tagging your results to our Instagram!
After your consultation, our office will provide a list of instructions to complete before your treatment. Patients are asked to:
- Stop smoking: Stop tobacco consumption a few weeks before and throughout your recovery. Tobacco is known to constrict blood flow and slow down healing.
- Change medication intake: Avoid certain medications such as aspirins, anti-inflammatory drugs, and herbal supplements because they may increase bleeding. Some immunosuppressive therapies must also be temporarily paused. We will work with your doctor to establish a safe plan for you.
- Maintain a stable weight: You must be willing to commit to healthy eating and exercise in order to maintain long-term results.
- Sort out transportation: Arrange for a ride to and from the surgery center as the effects of anesthesia will make you unfit to drive.
- Find a caregiver: You will need to have a caregiver for the first 48 hours after the procedure, and they will be helpful to have for a little while afterward as well. The caregiver will help administer medication, monitor your progress, and communicate with our office.
- Prepare for recovery: Dr. Wooten will release you to return back to your full range of normal activity six weeks after your surgery. In the meantime, you will not be permitted to lift anything over 5 lbs. Please consider this as you plan for surgery; this restriction is especially relevant for moms with small children, and those who have physically laborious jobs.
Your fleur-de-lis tummy tuck is performed under general anesthesia to keep you comfortable. Dr. Wooten will start the surgery by making two incisions that go down toward the deep fascia.  One is made horizontally near the pubic line running hip to hip, and the other is made vertically in the middle of the stomach, extending to just below the horizontal incision.  Dr. Wooten will remove a crescent of tissue from each side of the vertical incision to narrow the waistline and lower abdomen. She will then lift and excise the excess skin that surrounds the horizontal incision. Once the necessary tissue is carefully removed, the remaining skin is rejoined and tightened using monofilament and absorbable barbed sutures.  The process is completed in 3-6 hours.
Dr. Wooten will give you a compression garment to wear for a few weeks to maintain your results. Surgical drains are placed in the treated area to prevent excess buildup of blood and fluid during the first phase of your healing. Mild bruising, discoloration, and discomfort will be felt for the first several days following surgery but should dissipate with the prescribed medication. You should be able to return to sedentary work within two weeks. Strenuous activities can be resumed in six weeks.
Although you will continue to wear the compression garment and dressings until instructed otherwise, you may notice a more taut, leaner body immediately following your procedure. Remarkable results will become more apparent as the swelling and bruising gradually fade away. In 3-4 months, your results should be on full display. The surgical removal of redundant skin will reveal a flatter stomach, more visible abs, and an enhanced overall appearance. Your new results will last for years to come when supplemented with an active lifestyle and healthy diet.
Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
Beleza Plastic Surgery is pleased to offer patients multiple body sculpting options. At your consultation, Dr. Wooten may recommend the following procedure in lieu of, or to complement your fleur de lis tummy tuck:
Traditional Tummy Tuck
Also known as an abdominoplasty, this approach makes the abdomen tighter and firmer. For patients who don’t require the significant amount of skin removal achieved with a fleur de lis tummy tuck, this procedure may suffice. The surgery removes redundant skin and fat from the lower abdominal areas and tightens muscles. Patients unhappy with a bulging abdomen, weak muscles following pregnancy, and excess skin after significant weight loss can turn to a tummy tuck for a flattering appearance.
Patients wanting to remove fat to highlight their abdomen, hips, thighs, buttocks, and arms can do so with a liposuction procedure. Small incisions are made in the targeted areas and a cannula is inserted to remove stubborn fat deposits between the muscle and skin.
CoolSculpting is a convenient, minimally invasive procedure that reduces unwanted fat. In under an hour, this innovative technology uses a method known as cryolipolysis. It subjects the fat in the treatment area to freezing temperatures where it experiences cell death. Fat is gradually removed from the body naturally within several weeks of treatments to reveal a leaner physique. CoolSculpting can be used on the legs, lower back, abdomen, and buttocks.
The final cost of your treatment depends on the details of your customized procedure. Fleur-de-lis abdominoplasty pricing starts around $10,000.00. We are pleased to offer patients a helpful funding option through North America’s most prominent medical financing company, CareCredit. Apply now to see if you pre-qualify.
Who Can Have a Fleur-de-Lis Surgery?
The surgery has done wonders for patients who have developed excess skin or fat in the abdomen caused by dramatic weight loss or gone through multiple pregnancies.
How Does This Treatment Differ From a Traditional Tummy Tuck?
The main difference between these abdominal contouring procedures is the amount of skin removed. There is also a difference in the incisions made. A traditional tummy tuck removes a moderate amount of excess skin and uses a single horizontal incision made from hip to hip. A fleur-de-lis tummy tuck uses an additional incision for greater tightening ability.
- Bunting, H., Lu, K. B., Shang, Z., & Kenkel, J. (2020). Vertical Abdominoplasty Technique and the Impact of Preoperative Comorbidities on Outcomes. Aesthetic Surgery Journal Open Forum, 3(1). https://doi.org/10.1093/asjof/ojaa043
- Lahiri, A. (2014). The History of The Fleur-de-lis Technique: a Review of The Literature and Case Report. Undefined. https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/The-History-of-The-Fleur-de-lis-Technique%3A-a-Review-Lahiri/8575febd5e3f3b33c3a029c699747b3232ba7b62
- Mendes, F. H., Donnabella, A., & Fagotti Moreira, A. R. (2019). Fleur-de-lis Abdominoplasty and Neo-umbilicus. Clinics in Plastic Surgery, 46(1), 49–60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cps.2018.08.007