Lichen Sclerosus is a chronic skin condition that affects the genital area, although it can also affect other parts of the body. The condition causes itching, pain, discomfort, and even scarring. Although it is usually not serious, it can be uncomfortable and impact one’s quality of life. Although it cannot be cured, lichen sclerosus can be managed and treated with Morpheus8V, a radiofrequency (RF) procedure that remodels the vaginal tissues, providing relief from symptoms.
At Beleza Plastic Surgery, Dr. Anna Wooten has extensive experience in women’s Intimate Wellness, offering personalized treatment plans for each patient’s unique needs. She takes a compassionate and comprehensive approach to address all aspects of this condition, including both physical and emotional symptoms. Dr. Wooten understands that Lichen Sclerosus can be embarrassing and difficult to discuss, and Beleza provides a safe and supportive environment for patients to receive the care they need.
If you are experiencing symptoms of lichen sclerosus, do not hesitate to schedule a consultation at Beleza. Our team will work with you to develop a customized treatment plan to alleviate your symptoms and improve your overall quality of life.
- 1 Lichen Sclerosus Before & Afters
- 2 About Lichen Sclerosus
- 3 How Does Morpheus8V Work?
- 4 Benefits of Lichen Sclerosus Treatment
- 5 Candidates
- 6 Personal Consultation
- 7 Recovery And Results
- 8 Cost of Lichen Sclerosus Treatment in Sewickley, PA
- 9 FAQ
- 9.1 Why do some people get lichen sclerosus?
- 9.2 Are there alternative treatments for lichen sclerosus?
- 9.3 How common is lichen sclerosus?
- 9.4 Is lichen sclerosus contagious?
- 9.5 What are the long-term effects of lichen sclerosus?
- 9.6 Can lichen sclerosus lead to cancer?
- 9.7 How many Morpheus8V treatments will I need?
- 10 References
Before & Afters
About Lichen Sclerosus
Lichen sclerosus is a chronic progressive autoimmune disorder that affects the skin and mucous membranes. It most commonly affects the genital area in women, but it can also affect men and children. Although the condition is mostly diagnosed in postmenopausal women over the age of 50, it is already present in 50% of affected women prior to menopause. (1)
Skin atrophy and white (hypopigmented) patches of skin are two of the main hallmarks of lichen sclerosus. (2) These patches are thin, itchy, and painful, and in severe cases, the affected skin can become scarred, making it difficult to move or even urinate. Without prompt treatment, lichen sclerosus can cause scarring which can also impair sexual function.
There are various treatment options available for Lichen Sclerosus, ranging from topical corticosteroids to surgical intervention. However, one of the most effective minimally invasive ways to reduce symptoms is radio-frequency (RF) therapy with Morpheus8V.
How Does Morpheus8V Work?
Like all vaginal rejuvenation treatments, Morpheus8V is a device designed to improve vaginal function and patient well-being.(3) It uses radiofrequency energy to penetrate deep into the skin and stimulate collagen production. This helps to improve the texture and tone of the affected area, reducing the appearance of scarring and discoloration.
At Beleza Plastic Surgery, we understand that Lichen Sclerosus can be a challenging condition to manage. Our team of experienced medical professionals will work with you to develop a personalized treatment plan that addresses your unique needs and concerns.
Benefits of Lichen Sclerosus Treatment
- Non-invasive: Morpheus8V is a non-surgical procedure that does not require any incisions or general anesthesia. This means that you can undergo the treatment without experiencing any pain, discomfort or downtime.
- Comfortable: Beleza’s Morphues8V protocol involves an extended numbing time with a numbing cream specially formulated for use in the vaginal area, designed to comfortably numb the patient’s intimate areas – without increasing the risk of yeast infections.
- Customizable: The procedure is highly customizable and can be tailored to address specific needs. Dr. Wooten and her staff will work with you to develop a personalized treatment plan that addresses your unique concerns and goals.
- Long-lasting: The results of Morpheus8V can last for several months or even years depending on the individual.
- Addresses multiple issues: As well as lichen sclerosus, Morpheus8V can also alleviate genitourinary symptoms of menopause including stress urinary incontinence, vaginal atrophy, and vaginal dryness. Added benefits also include improved sensation.
- Minimal side effects: Morpheus8V has minimal side effects. Redness, swelling, and mild discomfort typically subside within a few hours to days after the procedure.
At Beleza Plastic Surgery, we understand the impact that lichen sclerosus can have on your daily life. That’s why we offer personalized treatment plans to help you achieve relief from symptoms and improve your overall well-being. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and learn more about how we can help you.
Our lichen sclerosus treatment plans are suitable for individuals who are experiencing the following:
We will evaluate your case to determine if you are a candidate for this treatment. Generally, those who have been diagnosed with lichen sclerosus or experience these symptoms may benefit from our treatment. Additionally, if you have attempted other treatments without success or simply want to explore new options, we encourage you to schedule a consultation.
During your Intimate Women’s Wellness consultation, we will review your medical history, discuss your symptoms, and perform a thorough examination of the affected areas. We may also order additional tests to better assess your condition and ensure an accurate diagnosis. Based on this information, we will develop a customized treatment plan tailored to your specific needs.
At Beleza Plastic Surgery, we work closely with each patient to develop a personalized treatment plan that addresses their unique needs and concerns. Contact us today to learn more about our lichen sclerosus treatment options.
Recovery And Results
After receiving Lichen Sclerosus treatment at Beleza Plastic Surgery, you can expect a relatively quick and straightforward recovery process. Following the procedure, it is normal to experience some mild discomfort or swelling in the treated area. We will provide you with medication to manage any discomfort during your recovery period.
It is important to rest and avoid any strenuous activities for the first few days after your treatment. You should also avoid any sexual activity until we have cleared you to do so. It is recommended that you wear loose-fitting clothing to avoid any irritation in the treated area.
Our office will schedule follow-up appointments to monitor your healing progress. Depending on the extent of your condition, multiple treatments may be necessary to achieve optimal results. Yearly maintenance treatments are advised.
After completing your Lichen Sclerosus treatment, you can expect relief from itching, burning, and discomfort in the affected area. Your skin will appear smoother and more even-toned. Any scarring or discoloration in the treated area will also be significantly reduced.
Cost of Lichen Sclerosus Treatment in Sewickley, PA
The cost of Lichen Sclerosus treatment varies depending on the severity of the condition and the individual needs of the patient. During your consultation, we will evaluate your unique case and design a personalized treatment plan that fits your specific goals and budget.
At Beleza Plastic Surgery, we believe that everyone deserves access to safe and effective treatments for their medical conditions. That’s why we offer financing options to help you achieve the care you need without breaking the bank.
If you’re struggling with lichen sclerosus and want to explore your treatment options, contact our Sewickley office at (724) 759-7777, our Pittsburgh location at (412) 877-9388, or fill out our online form to schedule an Intimate Women’s Wellness consultation at Beleza. Let us help you restore your confidence and improve your quality of life.
Find out more about women’s wellness treatments at Beleza Plastic Surgery & Medi Spa by reading Dr. Wooten’s blog.
Why do some people get lichen sclerosus?
The exact cause of lichen sclerosus is unknown. However, it is believed to be an autoimmune disorder, where the immune system attacks healthy tissue by mistake. Other factors that may contribute to the development of lichen sclerosus include genetics, hormonal imbalances, and trauma to the affected area.
Are there alternative treatments for lichen sclerosus?
In some cases, a multi-pronged approach will help to relieve symptoms of lichen sclerosus more effectively. In addition to medical treatments, there are many lifestyle modifications and alternative therapies that can help to manage the condition. These include following a lichen sclerosus diet, practicing good vulvar care, using stress management techniques like yoga and meditation, acupuncture, massage therapy, aromatherapy, cognitive-behavioral therapy, and pelvic floor physical therapy.
How common is lichen sclerosus?
Lichen sclerosus is an uncommon condition. Although its exact prevalence is unknown, scientists believe it affects between 1 in 1000 and 1 in 300 individuals in the general population.
Is lichen sclerosus contagious?
No, lichen sclerosus is not contagious and cannot be spread through contact with another person.
What are the long-term effects of lichen sclerosus?
Lichen sclerosus can cause scarring and fusion of the genitalia, which can lead to sexual dysfunction and difficulty urinating. It is important to seek treatment early in order to prevent these long-term complications.
Can lichen sclerosus lead to cancer?
In rare cases, lichen sclerosus can increase the risk of developing skin cancer in the affected area. Regular monitoring and follow-up appointments with a dermatologist or gynecologist are important to detect any potential cancerous changes early on.
How many Morpheus8V treatments will I need?
The number of Morpheus8V treatments needed varies depending on the individual’s goals and the condition of their skin. Multiple sessions may be recommended for the best results; additional yearly maintenancemaintenacne is recommended.
- Kirtschig G. Lichen Sclerosus—Presentation, Diagnosis and Management. Deutsches Aerzteblatt Online. Published online May 13, 2016. doi:https://doi.org/10.3238/arztebl.2016.0337
- Chamli A, Asmahane Souissi. Lichen Sclerosus. Nih.gov. Published April 10, 2019. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK538246/
- Desai SA, Kroumpouzos G, Sadick N. Vaginal rejuvenation: From scalpel to wands. International Journal of Women’s Dermatology. 2019;5(2):79-84. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijwd.2019.02.003