Tear trough injections with Juvéderm Volbella XC are a cosmetic treatment used to improve the appearance of the area under the eyes, known as the tear trough. The tear trough is the groove that runs from the corner of the eye to the cheek. It can become more pronounced with age, giving the appearance of dark circles or “bags” under the eyes. This area has typically been difficult to address non-surgically, but now, with a simple injection, your face can instantly transform without downtime. The best part? The results last for up to a year or more. 
Beleza patients in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania are among the lucky few who can receive tear trough injections with Juvéderm Volbella XC, which is now an FDA-approved, non-surgical treatment for a hollow undereye appearance. Dr. Anna I. Wooten conducts regular training sessions with Beleza’s RN injectors in addition to the official training sessions required for injectables. This gives our team the ability to safely provide stunning results for patients in Sewickley, Pittsburgh, and beyond. If you want to learn how these injections can help refresh your look, call (724) 759-7777 (Sewickley) or (412) 877-9388 (Pittsburgh), so our scheduling coordinator can book your consultation.
Follow the Beleza blog for inside information on the transformational treatments Dr. Wooten and her staff offer patients.
- 1 Before and After Photos
- 2 About Juvéderm Volbella XC
- 3 What are the Benefits of Tear Trough Injections?
- 4 Candidates for Tear Trough Injections
- 5 Personal Consultation
- 6 Preparation
- 7 What to Expect During Your Tear Trough Injection Appointment
- 8 Recovery After Juvéderm Volbella XC Tear Trough Injections
- 9 What are the Results of Under-Eye Filler?
- 10 Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
- 11 What is the Cost of Tear Trough Injections in Pennsylvania?
- 12 References
Before and After Photos
About Juvéderm Volbella XC
Juvéderm is one of the most popular injectables on the market today, and over the past decade, it has introduced a range of dermal fillers that are formulated to address different areas of the face. Juvéderm Volbella XC was first approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in June 2016 for addressing moderate to severe facial wrinkles, such as nasolabial folds (lines running from the nose to the corners of the mouth).
After Volbella XC became widely available, providers saw the benefits if offered, and began to use it “off-label” in other areas of the face. Off-label use refers to the use of a medical product for an indication that the FDA has not specifically approved.
However, because Volbella is so safe and versatile, the FDA has approved it for other uses since then. In September 2017, it approved Juvéderm Volbella XC for use in the correction of perioral lines, the lines around the mouth, and lip augmentation in patients.
In early 2022, the FDA cleared Juvéderm Volbella XC for injection to improve hollowing of the IOH (Infra-orbital hollows) for patients over the age of 21. Juvéderm Volbella XC is the first and only injectable filler approved by the FDA for use in the I.O.H. area – sometimes known as ‘tear troughs.  Now, patients can enjoy this revitalizing injectable approved for tear troughs with total peace of mind, knowing that the benefits and safety have been fully evaluated and officially recognized.
What is Juvéderm Volbella XC?
Juvéderm Volbella XC is an injectable filler made of hyaluronic acid, which occurs naturally in the skin. It is a clear gel that adds volume beneath the skin and smooths out wrinkles and fine lines. Hyaluronic acid is a type of carbohydrate (sugar) found in the body’s connective tissue. It has the ability to hold onto water, which helps to keep the skin hydrated and plump. As we age, the levels of hyaluronic acid in the skin naturally decrease, which can lead to the development of wrinkles and a loss of volume in the skin. 
Juvéderm Volbella XC is specifically formulated to be smooth and soft, making it suitable for use in delicate areas of the face, such as the lips and under the eyes. It is typically injected into the skin using a fine needle, which usually takes about 30 minutes to complete.
The RN injectors at Beleza Plastic Surgery have not only completed the official training from Allergan on this niche technique, but they undergo regular training under Dr. Wooten’s supervision. Patients can expect a safe, reliable experience no matter the procedure and only the highest level of care regardless of who provides the service; this is Dr. Wooten’s guarantee.
This is the benefit of seeing a provider at a plastic surgeon’s office for your injectables.
What are the Benefits of Tear Trough Injections?
Injections in the tear troughs, also called the IOH or infraorbital hollows, can reduce the appearance of dark circles or bags under the eyes by adding volume to the depressions caused by age or genetics. This can help to restore a more youthful and refreshed appearance to the under-eye area for men and women. Dark circles and bags can make a person look tired or sick or older than their years.
Tear trough injections are a non-surgical treatment option, which means that there is no need for incisions or downtime. The injections are typically quick and painless. After the procedure, you can be on your way with a beautifully plumped and rejuvenated look.
Candidates for Tear Trough Injections
Generally, good candidates for tear trough injections are people who have the following:
- Prominent infraorbital hollows
- Mild to moderate skin sagging
- Good skin elasticity
- Realistic expectations
Patients should not be pregnant or nursing or be taking certain medications. If you have active infections or skin conditions or have a history of allergies or sensitivities, you may need to wait for your skin to clear up or choose a different route for treatment. We can help you navigate the process of rejuvenating your face and help you choose the right treatment for your skin and lifestyle.
A consultation for tear trough injections, also known as under-eye filler, is an opportunity for us to assess your individual needs and determine if this treatment is right for you. Here is what you can expect during your consultation appointment:
- A review of your medical history – We will ask about your medical history, including any allergies or sensitivities and medications you are currently taking.
- An assessment of your skin – We’ll examine the skin under your eyes to assess the degree of sagging and the presence of any other underlying skin conditions.
- A discussion of your goals and expectations – It is important that you have realistic expectations about what tear trough injections can achieve.
- A treatment plan recommendation – Based on the assessment of your skin and your goals and expectations, we’ll recommend a treatment plan tailored to your individual needs; this may include the type of filler to be used, the amount of filler needed, and the number of treatment sessions required.
- A discussion of the potential risks and side effects – We will discuss with you the potential risks and side effects of tear trough injections with you, including the risk of bleeding, bruising, swelling, and allergic reactions.
- Information about the treatment process: When you book your appointment, we will provide information about the treatment process, including how to prepare, what to expect during the procedure, and any necessary aftercare instructions.
The consultation ensures that you are informed and prepared before treatment. Come with any questions about Juvéderm or any surgical procedures you may be curious about scheduling with Dr. Wooten in the future. Our team will be happy to answer your questions and discuss the best course of treatment to make your aesthetic dreams a reality.
Your Juvéderm injections don’t require much preparation, but to make sure that you get the very best results, we may as that you:
- Stop using certain medications. Some medications, such as blood thinners and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), can increase the risk of bleeding and bruising after a tear trough injection procedure.
- Avoid alcohol and supplements. It is generally recommended that you avoid alcohol for at least a day or two before and after tear trough injections. Some supplements, such as fish oil and vitamin E, may also increase the risk of bleeding and bruising.
Tear trough injections are performed in Beleza’s state-of-the-art facility. Our patients will not have any downtime after injections and can resume most normal activities 24-48 hours after treatment.
What to Expect During Your Tear Trough Injection Appointment
To minimize discomfort, your RN injector will apply a cream to numb the skin in the tear trough area. Using a fine needle, they will inject the Juvéderm Volbella XC into the areas requiring volume. The amount of filler used and the number of injections required will depend on your specific facial structure and goals. After the filler has been injected, your injector may massage the treatment area to smooth out the product and ensure it is evenly distributed.
After your services, we will provide you with aftercare instructions, including maintenance appointments and activities to avoid. It’s as easy as that!
Recovery After Juvéderm Volbella XC Tear Trough Injections
After receiving under-eye filler injections, also known as tear trough injections, it is common for patients to experience some swelling and bruising in the treatment area. The degree of swelling and bruising can vary depending on the individual’s skin type, the amount of filler used, and the patient’s tendency to bruise. Typically, the swelling and bruising will resolve independently within a few days to a week. In the meantime, you may use cold compresses or over-the-counter pain medication to help reduce discomfort.
In general, it is recommended that patients avoid the following activities after tear trough injections:
- Avoid strenuous exercise for at least a day or two after tear trough injections; this will help to minimize the risk of bleeding, bruising, and swelling.
- Protect the treated area from the sun for a period of time after the treatment. This can help to minimize the risk of complications, such as hyperpigmentation, which is the darkening of the skin.
- Avoid alcohol for at least a day after tear trough injections because alcohol can be known to increase the risk of bleeding and bruising.
Furthermore, we suggest you avoid certain skin care products, such as retinoids or exfoliants, for a period after the treatment; this will help to minimize the risk of irritation and ensure the best possible outcome.
What are the Results of Under-Eye Filler?
It may take several days for the filler to settle fully and the swelling to resolve, at which point you can see your beautiful results. By adding volume to the skin in the tear trough area, tear trough injections can help to smooth out the appearance of the skin and reduce the appearance of dark circles or bags under the eyes.
Patients will look like they’ve just returned from vacation. This is not an Instagram filter, just volumized, corrected under-eye filler that is safe, effective, and will last up to a year or more! After a time, your filler will be safely absorbed by your body, and you can schedule a maintenance appointment anytime.
Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
Patients who wish to volumize other areas of their face with Juvéderm Volbella XC, or other dermal fillers, can schedule their appointment simultaneously with their under-eye treatment.
What is the Cost of Tear Trough Injections in Pennsylvania?
The cost of your treatment will depend on how much filler is needed and if you have scheduled additional treatments during your appointment. Beleza offers consultation appointments to discuss and disclose all the pertinent information about your service. Schedule yours today! Call (724) 759-7777 in Sewickley or (412) 877-9388 in Pittsburgh or fill out this form.
We look forward to refreshing your face!
- Lambros VS. Hyaluronic Acid Injections for Correction of the Tear Trough Deformity. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2007;120(Supplement):74S80S. doi:10.1097/01.prs.0000248858.26595.46
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. SUMMARY of SAFETY and EFFECTIVENESS DATA (SSED), PMA P110033/S053: JUVÉDERM® VOLBELLA® XC. 2021; https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_docs/pdf11/P110033S053B.pdf
- Ghersetich I, Lotti T, Campanile G, Grappone C, Dini G. Hyaluronic Acid In Cutaneous Intrinsic Aging. International Journal of Dermatology. 1994;33(2):119-122. doi:10.1111/j.1365-4362.1994.tb01540.x